Welcome to Month by Month:

This blog is my own little version of organization central. We touch on just about every aspect of home, family, and holiday organization here. It is my hope that by blogging my experiences, I can grow as an individual and perhaps inspire others to try new things and think about everyday life a little differently. So please join us in organizing for life every month of the year!

Monday, February 11, 2008

Spices

For those of you that read another blog of mine: Ginger's Journey, then you know of my journey with cooking and I talked briefly about spices and using them in my cooking. I thought it might be fun to take a look at spices and how people use them and in which kind of dishes. If you are like me..... I need to gain a better understanding of the use of spices when cooking and to get a bit more creative with them.

According to Wikipedia:
A spice is a dried seed, fruit, root, bark or vegetative substance used in nutritionally insignificant quantities as a food additive for the purpose of flavoring, and sometimes as a preservative by killing or preventing the growth of harmful bacteria.
In the kitchen, spices are distinguished from herbs, which are leafy, green plant parts used for flavoring purposes.

So I'll be back a bit later in the week with a spice to learn more about and maybe a recipe that uses it.

No comments: