Welcome to Month by Month:

This blog is my own little version of organization central. We touch on just about every aspect of home, family, and holiday organization here. It is my hope that by blogging my experiences, I can grow as an individual and perhaps inspire others to try new things and think about everyday life a little differently. So please join us in organizing for life every month of the year!

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Room Personalities: The Living Room

Home Journal Entry 1

The personality of my living room is lively and maybe even a bit hyper. This is our main gathering place along with the kitchen. Here is where my family visits, watches TV, and plays games. I would like for it to be a bright airy space with lots of comfy seating. I would like it to be clear of clutter and the storage in this room to be easy to access and organized. I would like to keep the main focal parts (shelves above sofa and loveseat, dry sink, and dresser top) seasonal with a frequently rotating display of things that I love! I would like the furniture to be more functional and "open up" the room as currently it has a recliner that is sort of angled into the room.
This summer I need to play around with a different arrangement but that requires moving an antique cabinet full of stuff right now.Almost one whole wall of this room is a BIG window. Right now there are mini blinds on it. They are dusty and I am dreaming of taking them down and putting up some curtains on perhaps a wrought iron curtain rod. The kind that has the little straps that slide over the rod. I hate dust and minimizing it is important to me. Also the blinds are sort of "dated".
There is a long shelf above the window that we put up several years ago. It has never been as I envisioned because it is too high and there is a wallpaper border behind it that distracts from anything placed on it. I would like to take it down!The entertainment center has great storage but there are usually DVDs scattered. I need to examine how these can be handled better. The wooden antique furniture I have in this room is perfect. It supplies storage, is beautiful, and fits in the space I have. If I can figure out a way to move that recliner I would like to keep an eye out for a smallish, wooden, coffee table for in front of the sofa...definitely a flea market treasure hunt.

No comments: