Welcome to Month by Month:

This blog is my own little version of organization central. We touch on just about every aspect of home, family, and holiday organization here. It is my hope that by blogging my experiences, I can grow as an individual and perhaps inspire others to try new things and think about everyday life a little differently. So please join us in organizing for life every month of the year!

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday Salutations

Good Grief...I just got back from Walmart and I spent $180.00 and the thing is there was hardly ANYTHING in the cart. So I am certainly going to be continuing the Grocery Budget Challenge work...got a little off track with vacation. Here are some important points though:
  • Get your monthly estimates ready for items you use frequently. I can pretty much figure that we are going to eat some kind of pasta once a week and tacos at least twice a month...as well as some other family faves.
  • I can honestly say that the groceries I got at the budget store (used Aldis last time) were heaping for the amount of money $101 and I still have quite a few items to use. This time (next week) we are going to try Save a Lot and see how that store stacks up. It has not been a month but last time I only spent about half of the monthly amount so I did not anticipate it lasting a month. My goal this time is to actually STRETCH the budget and monthly trip from July 8th until August 23rd...because of our monthly pay system. I actually think I can do it because I still have items left....now just to fine tune the menus.
  • Someone over at MHH pointed out that they do not stock up any longer because they ended up with expired products etc. I suppose that is something to watch for but I also think the monthly trip decreases impulse spending and saves gas money also from frequent trips.
  • Another consideration...is to find good products and stick to the plan. BUT if an item is not up to quality...I'll note it in my small grocery notebook that I am developing. It will include items from the monthly list and how much of each one we typically consume in a month.
  • Also I must check out the local farmer's market and see how they are with vegetables and such.

Food prices are hitting the news headlines also. So I know we are not alone in our struggles to feed families and still have a bit of cash left over.

No comments: