Welcome to Month by Month:

This blog is my own little version of organization central. We touch on just about every aspect of home, family, and holiday organization here. It is my hope that by blogging my experiences, I can grow as an individual and perhaps inspire others to try new things and think about everyday life a little differently. So please join us in organizing for life every month of the year!

Friday, February 22, 2008

Cheesy Carrots

At our house, I'm trying to get more veggies into our meals. Also I need to get away from the "open a can" approach and broaden our choices. Here's a good recipe for carrots. It comes from an old Gooseberry Patch book. I LOVE the Gooseberry Patch Christmas books.

Cheesy Carrots

2 onions finely chopped
2 Tablespoons margarine
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups milk
12 carrots, peeled, sliced and cooked
8 oz. package of shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup bread crumbs

Saute onions in margarine, stir in mustard, pepper, and celery salt. Add flour and milk, stirring until combined. Stirring constantly cook over mediaum heat, until thickened. Set aside. Layer half the carrots in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish, top with half the cheese, then half the white sauce. Repeat layers. Top with bread crumbs and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden and bubbly on top. Serves 6.

There are lots of Gooseberry Patch books at Amazon. I have 1-8 of the Christmas ones. Still need to pick up number 9!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I've never heard of those books before but I just ordered Book 1. They sound like something I will love. I'm adding the others to my Wish List.

Sandra Larson @smilingsandra (smilingriderfan) said...

I LOVE the gooseberry books. Hubby got me my first one for Christmas and it was all about christmas meals and leftovers. It is great. I love the website too. So many cute things.