Welcome to Month by Month:

This blog is my own little version of organization central. We touch on just about every aspect of home, family, and holiday organization here. It is my hope that by blogging my experiences, I can grow as an individual and perhaps inspire others to try new things and think about everyday life a little differently. So please join us in organizing for life every month of the year!

Sunday, July 20, 2014

No Technology Tuesdays or Thursdays


I've been thinking a lot about technology lately. It's great! I love smart phones, and computers and my brand new Kindle HDX but I've also started to question just how much of my life, my relationships, my goals, my brain power are sucked up by technology. We go out with friends and spend time checking messages, posting on Facebook and taking pictures with our phones. Are we spending so much time with technology that we aren't "living life"?  Is it bordering on an addiction?

Last night I went out with friends and I made a conscious decision to "stay off my phone". I only checked and responded once to a text about my grandson being sick. It felt weird, it felt different, it felt liberating!

I've been working my "July Plan" and I am realizing just how much time I waste procrastinating with Facebook, games, and yes even blogging. So that made me decide to go "technology free" on Tuesdays and Thursdays. That includes Facebook, the phone, the computer and the Kindle. I'll check text at lunch and once in the evening. That's it. If someone needs me....I will still answer the phone. I also haven't include TV on my no technology list. Heck TVs been around so long its hardly considered technology any more but I do plan on keeping it off as much as possible on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

This is an experiment. I want to see if I can reclaim time to do all those other things I keep saying I want to do, like ride my bike, work out at the gym. read a book, paint, listen to music, work in my flowerbeds, bake bread, make strawberry jam, etc. etc.  I want to see if I actually "listen" to people more.

I encourage you to try the experiment with me. Unplug from technology on Tuedays and/or Thursdays!

PS: You might see blog posts on Tuesdays and Thursdays because I can write and "schedule them" to post even when I am not actually on the computer those days. 



No comments: